A SHORT ANNOTATED GUIDE TO GENERAL WORKS IN THE HISTORY OF CARTOGRAPHY
A small class handout given to students:
Note--all the items that follow are those general works in the history of
cartography in English, many of which are in print or found in most
- Bagrow, Leo, and Skelton, Raleigh A. History of Cartography. London: C. A.
Watts; Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1964. Second printing:
Chicago: Precedent Publishing, 1985.
- Baynton-Williams, Roger. Investing in Maps. New York: Clarkson N. Potter, 1969.
- Bricker, Charles. Landmarks of Mapmaking. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1968.
Published in England as A History of Cartography. London: Thames and
- Brown, Lloyd. The Story of Maps. Boston: Little Brown & Co.,1949. Reprinted
by Dover, New York, 1980.
- Campbell, Tony. Early Maps. New York: Abbeville, 1981.
- Crone, Gerald R. Maps and Their Makers. 5th edition. Hamden, Ct., Archon
- Fite, Emerson D., and Freeman, A. A Book of Old Maps. Cambridge, Mass.:
Harvard University Press, 1926.
- Gohm, Douglas C. Maps and Prints for Pleasure and Investment. London:
Gifford, 1969. New York: Arco Press, 1969.
- Harvey, P. D. A. The History of Topographical Maps: Symbols, Pictures,
Surveys. London: Thames and Hudson, 1980.
- Lister, Raymond. How to Identify Old Maps and Globes. London: G. Bell, 1965.
- Lister, Raymond. Antique Maps and Their Cartographers. London: G. Bell; New
York: Archon, 1970.
- Nordenskiöld, Adolf Erik. Facsimile Atlas to the Early History of
Cartography. New York: Dover Publications, 1973.
- Skelton, Raleigh A. Maps: A Historical Survey of Their Study and
Collecting, (Kenneth Nebenzahl, Jr. Lectures in the History of Cartography
at The Newberry Library, No. 1). Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1972.
- Skelton, R. A. Explorer's Maps. New York: Humanities Press, 1978.
- Thrower, Norman J. W. Maps and Civilization: Cartography in Culture and
Society. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1996).
- Tooley, Ronald V. Maps and Map-makers. London: Batsford, 1949. Fifth
- Wilford, John Noble. The Mapmakers. The story of the great pioneers in
cartography--from antiquity to the space age. New York: Alfred A. Knopf,
- Woodward, David, ed. Five Centuries of Map Printing. Chicago: University of
Chicago Press, 1975.
Sent to MapHist, November 24, 1996, by:
- Imago Mundi. Journal of the International Society for the History of
Cartography. London: British Library, England. The only journal devoted
entirely to the history of cartography, and one that deserves the support
of everyone interested in the field.
- The Map Collector. Quarterly magazine for map collectors. Tring: Map
Collector Publications Ltd., P.O. Box 53, Tring, Herts, England HP23 5BH.
Now ceased publication and replaced by:
- Mercator's World. 845 Willamette St., EUGENE OR 97401
- Mapline. Quarterly newsletter of the Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the
History of Cartography. The Newberry Library, 60 W. Walton St., Chicago, IL
- Meridian. A new journal started in January 1989, published by the Map and
Geography Round Table of the American Library Association.
Arthur H. Robinson Professor of Geography
University of Wisconsin
443 Science Hall
550 North Park Street
Madison WI 53706-1491 USA